I am currently finishing a book, titled The Invention of Robert Bresson: The Auteur and his Market. You can read about it and purchase an advanced copy here. Here are a few of my recent publications:
- “Under the Auspices of Simplicity: Roger Leenhardt’s New Realism and the Aesthetic History of Objectif 49.” Film History 27.2 (2015): 33-75.
- “The ‘Albert Maltz Affair’ and the Debate Over Para-Marxist Formalism in New Masses, 1945-6.” Journal of American Studies (2013): 1-28.
- “Perspectivism versus Realism.” In The Routledge Encyclopedia of Film Theory, edited by Edward Branigan and Warren Buckland. London: Routledge, 2013.
- “Vulgar Auteurism: Out with the New, In with the Old.” Antenna: Responses to Media and Culture (June 2013): http://blog.commarts.wisc.edu/2013/06/11/vulgar-auteurism-out-with-the-new-in-with-the-old/.
- “Transnational Auteurism and the Cultural Dynamics of Influence: Mani Kaul’s ‘Non-Representational’ Cinema.” Transnational Cinemas 4.1 (April 2013): 3-24.
- “Cinema(s) of Quality.” In Directory of World Cinema: France, edited by Tim Palmer and Charlie Michael, 140-148. Bristol, UK: Intellect, 2012.
- “Hidden Hands at Work: Authorship, the Intentional Flux, and the Dynamics of Collaboration.” In A Companion to Media Authorship, edited by Jonathan Gray and Derek Johnson, 112-132. Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.
- “Bresson in the 1930s: Photography, Cinema, Milieu.” In Robert Bresson Revised, edited by James Quandt, 202-225. Toronto: TIFF, 2012.
- “Arnheim on Style History.” In Arnheim for Film and Media Studies, edited by Scott Higgins, 229-247. New York: Routledge, 2010.
- “A New Look at the Concept of Style in Film: The Origins and Development of the Problem-Solution Model.” New Review of Film and Television Studies 6.2 (August 2008): 127- 149.
- “Muting the Image: Lighting and Photo-Chemical Techniques of Bresson’s Cinematographers.” Studies in French Cinema 6.3 (2006): 219-230.